Friday, June 22

friday {frosting}

It's nearly that time of year again.

Time to make frosting.

Someone is turning 8.

Him... the one in the middle...

 
It doesn't seem that long ago that they all looked like this...



I don't have anything against the kids getting older.

It's a great excuse to make cake!

I'm not a great cake-maker but I sure have fun!

This was Abi's last cake, an artist's palette...


Abel's most recent cake was a Cat in the Hat cake.

It was my first attempt at fondant icing.

I was a bit chuffed!


 This was Sol's cake last year.

He wanted a Star Wars battle on Endor.

This was as close as I could get.

I think it's more like a Star Wars battle in Willy Wonka's factory.

But he was stoked {phew!}
 
Last year, I asked my very creative friend Kylie to decorate Abi's cake.

I did the middle though.

She wanted it to be a bright, painty, splodgey kind of cake.

Mission accomplished?


Abel wanted a robot for his fourth birthday last year.

I totally ripped this idea off from a different friend of mine.

Thankfully she's a generous soul and was very happy about it!

 
 And before that we had a light saber for Sol...

Easiest cake EVER*


And before that Abel wanted ALL the cupcakes!


And before that Abi wanted a butterfly...

{I love Sol's expression in this photo!}


And then I must leave it there before I get all choked up about how their childhood disappears quicker than smarties off buttercream frosting.

Do you enjoy making cakes for your kids?
What are their favourites?
Do you remember a special cake from your childhood?


* Light saber cake = use a bunch of little jam rolls for the lasery bit and a bigger jam scroll for the handle.  Whack them together and cover in butter frosting.  Use a bright colour for the lasery bit and sprinkle with those sparkly 100s & 1000s.  As for the handle, try tinting your frosting purple and stuff it up royally - voila, a perfect grey every time! Whack on a few lollies for buttons and Boba Fett's your uncle!  Well, sort of. Boba Fett is a bounty hunter and wouldn't make a nice uncle. And he didn't have a light saber but I'm sure you know what I mean...
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cakes! Very impressive. We are about to have a first birthday here so I am bracing myself to come up with a cake. I think it's going to be something from the women's weekly book but I don't think it will be as nice as any of these. I have the cake-eating gene rather than the cake-decorating one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you should see my earlier creations! It's taken me a few years to warm up to this present state of adequacy ;-) I foresee much wonderfulness in your future!

      Delete
  2. I must have got an oversupply of the cake-eating genes. It's so good to be married to a cake-making gene possessor. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh heh... I'm sure I can do my fair share of eating too!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.