Wednesday, June 6

writing {we're off!}

Seeing as you're reading this post I guess you've noticed that I've started a blog!

tiny trifles is our little labour of love.

It's a blog about us and mainly for us.

I'm Karen and it's my voice you'll hear most often.  I'm married to Brenden, and we have three delightful little squirts who will be writing on here too, and who are dying to make your acquaintance!

Over the last year or two it's occurred to us that life is getting fast - really fast!  I'm sure you've noticed it too?

And the trickiest thing is that most of the stuff that keeps us busy is truly worthwhile.  Things like school and church and sports and work and volunteering and friends and family and shopping ... all really good things, and all deserving of attention.

But in the middle of all that we felt like we were losing 'us'.  That by being all things to all people we were in danger of being nothing and nobody to the people we love most.

And don't get me wrong, we aren't remarkable crusaders with a bent on do-gooding the entire world to death.  We are just an ordinary suburban family and we got tired.  That deep-in-your-bones and can't-think-beyond-next-week kind of tired.

Looking back over the last 10 years, I admit with some regret that I wished my babies were a bit sleepier and that my toddlers were more independent.  I couldn't wait for my preschoolers to spontaneously engage themselves light housework and to quit revering me as the physical manifestation of Wikipedia.  Didn't they know I had stuff to do?!

And now that all three of them are safely tucked away in big school and Bren and I have tackled our compulsive-volunteering tendencies, we still have mentally weary days.  But something has shifted.  Bren and I are acutely aware that we've hit our 'golden years' and we don't want to miss a thing.  The kids are out of nappies and into chapter books, but they can't drive yet and they're not too embarrassed to be seen in public with us.

With the values of truthfulness and kindness at its core, tiny trifles is our way of mindfully recording our own 'golden years'.  Well,  at the very least, it still ticks my 'free child labour' box.

15 comments:

  1. Melc_19118:13 AM

    Good on you Karen and Family for doing this. Will be wonderful to look back on in years to come. I feel the same about being in the golden years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel!

      It's both exciting and scary to be aware that I'm living what I'll look back on as some of the best years of my life.

      Let's make them great ones, hey?!

      Delete
  2. Kirsten10:18 AM

    Love it, beautiful stuff Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely lovely :)

    I too have recently curbed my own compulsive volunteering tendencies and am trying to live a simpler life and enjoy my family more!! Looking forward to travelling this journey with you Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly!

      I know so many people who are trying to simplify things, but it requires a lot of determination! Great to be keeping each other honest, so to speak ;-)

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful Karen. Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kel, very kind of you to stop by and say so xx

      Delete
  5. Oh how exciting!! I love this!! I can't wait to read more, I have to admit I'm not the best blog commenting friend but I will be your best secret reader ever. Have fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Tina! And never mind the comments, I'll just randomly quiz you from time to time to check you're really reading ;-)

      Delete
    2. Ha ha, I better take notes then ;)

      Delete
  6. wotisunique10:15 AM

    Am looking forward to reading. And if you want to throw in some tips on what 'simplify' means, that'd be appreciated too.
    D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks D :)

      I plan to write about 'simplifying' pretty regularly!

      I hasten to add though that what works for me won't always work for others, and that I'm figuring it out as I go along. In any case, I hope whatever I come up with helps - and I look forward to hearing your ideas too!

      Delete
  7. propinqua12:03 PM

    This is so beautiful it made me cry a little bit. Its possible you caught me at a fragile moment ;). My own 'compulsive volunteering tendencies' (which, to be frank, I didn't even know I had) have recently spiralled out of control, and I can't see things being reined in for a year or so - but now I have road map to follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I've been getting teary writing some of this stuff down! It's difficult to confront the fact that your kids aren't getting any younger and that you're actually raising them to learn to live without you. Deep breath...

      Anyway, I'm looking forward to creating this space where we can all encourage each other to slow down a bit. Hope it helps! xx

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.