Monday, June 25

whip-it {homework}

I know everyone LOVES homework,
so I thought I'd share how we do it at our house!

First things first: we do it in the morning.

Why? Because a few months ago I had an epiphany.  I realised that the kids were always tired and grumpy after school, and I was always tired and grumpy after school, and so homework was about as fun as sewing your lips to your kneecaps with a rusty nail and a spool of pompom yarn, except only slightly more difficult and painful.

The switch to the mornings has ridiculously successful {ridiculous because I'm as much a morning person as Lady Gaga is a frumpy bogan}.

In exchange for afternoons of leisure, the kids agreed to be ready and raring to go by 8:00am on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  The biggest thing I've noticed is that the kids seem to - wait for it - look forward to their homework when they're tackling it with a freshly slept brain.  Who knew?!

To help keep the process bubbling along even better, I have their gear organised near the kitchen just like this:


Not the most exciting display ever, but here's the rundown...


This basket on top is where I keep all my household documents - especially the dreaded school notes.  After school {or after the postie's been} the kids dump their notes or the mail into that front section in front of the blue divider.

When I get a moment to myself I sort it out.

I grab the basket, my iPhone, my wallet, and a pen and I action everything that needs actioning. After that, I throw out anything that's old and file {behind those nifty dividers} anything that I need to hang onto. I have tabs for school, sport, finances etc.


Behind the big plastic case {my bill folder} I tuck in a black wallet for receipts and the kids' Dollarmites school banking folders.


On the next shelf is a little basket {from Target, about $10} containing the usual stationery suspects. It gets carried to the kitchen table at homework time, along with...


... these little pots from Ikea {about $2 I think?}.  There's a writing pencil/pen pot, a texta pot, and a coloured pencil pot.  Just in case you couldn't tell.


The bottom shelf houses my recipe books and the kids' homework books.  The black folder to the far left contains the recipes I've collected over the years.


Do you stick recipes in a book like this?


Now this is a HUGE deal. This sticky date pudding recipe was shared with me by a lovely friend years ago. She found it in a Super Foods magazine and it's the BEST sticky date pudding recipe in the universe. It's one of those recipes that I'm always handing over because people MUST KNOW how I made the sticky date pudding!

Now, how we got here from a post about homework I don't know, but it can't be all bad.  Off you go, make pudding!

How do you organise the kids' homework?
Or do you just skip it and go straight to dessert?

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Oh the teacher in me LOVES this organisation.
    I never thought of getting kids to do morning homework but if it fits in with your lifestyle then it sounds like a good idea to me!
    :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but this morning homework gig is seriously good. They do in 15 minutes what used to take them 45, quality is better, and they look forward to it! Bizarre.

      Delete
  2. wotisunique4:35 PM

    We do music practice in the morning, which has worked a million times better than in the afternoon. The homework thing is something we haven't tackled - well, we have. We decided to not tackle it. We've spoken to the school & asked about the homework policy, which started a whole of school discussion amongst the teachers. Still waiting for this to be finalized, but it's a start.

    I bought cutlery racks (square ones that you put your washing up in) for our texts/ pencil/ scissor set up. Looks good and works well.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention about discussing homework with the teachers - we're off to our parent/teacher interviews tomorrow and it's high on the agenda! I plan to say that our current plan works, BUT is it really necessary?!?! Glad you're reaching a resolution with your school!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.